Currently, millions of apps are available in different online stores to smartphone users. The most successful mobile applications have been downloaded over a billion times and each day new applications are launched to the mobile market,making it extremely attractive both for companies and indie developers to invest their time and money. Such demand has often led mobile software (SW) developers to adapt established SW development methodologies or submit new proposals thatfit the constraints related to mobile SW development.
The mobile SW development particularities are diverse, but surely include short and frequent development cycles, frequenttechnological changes (platforms, operating systems, sensors, etc.), limited documentation, specific requirements andresources of the development team and the client, among others. In addition, all these possible factors are prone to constant innovation.
Steps Involved in the process of developing a Mobile Application
Start by finding the problem in the workplace and solve it in a mobile-first way. This is the fundamental difference between a good app-that solves a problem and a great app-that solves a problem in mobile-first way. More often, the focus is on number of data collected rather than its availability on a mobile device. This will result in a data-centric app but not a user-centric app. Next, the features of your app must be decided. The more features and benefits it provides, the more likely chances of users getting intimidated by the application and using it more frequently. Do not build a mobile app just to please the eye of the user. It must do something else it will become forgotten eventually.
DESIGN OF APP
Design is a principal factor for success of an app. It is proportional to the usability of the app.The UI design should catch the attention of the user. Multi-touch gestures for touch-enabled devices andinclude platform design standards can be enabled as well. It creates an instant impact in the mind of theuser. What an app looks like is the first aspect people look at before even downloading and testing the app.Creative Design is a sum of User Interface(UI) and User Experience(UX).
UX/UI must have-
- Specific mobile-only functionality – Make sure that the product will fulfill the user‟s mobile needsand functions. Also, the end experience should be commensurate to the function.
- Design core features for target audience- Design features by keeping the target audience in mind.For example, if it is shoppers, modules such as display of items and payment should be carefullyimplemented. Nevertheless, all features must be provided.
- Use and Control of Multimedia- Presence of multimedia such as image, audio and video enrichesdesign. Also make sure user has control over the media and don‟tinclude many to avoid taking up lotof memory.
DEVELOPMENT OF APP
After the prototype approval, the next phase is to development the app in different platforms with the apt technology. Some of the common used platforms in mobile app developments are Android, iOS and Windows.
Some of the technologies used for mobile app development are
Ionic is HTML5 mobile app development framework. It is widely used for developing hybrid mobile apps. It is a useful tool to build mobile apps using web technologies like CSS, HTML5, and SASS.
- Ionic Framework is a 100% free and open source project
- Build progressive web and native mobile apps for every major app store
- It offers great tools and services to create highly interactive apps
- It allows web developer to create apps for all major app stores with a single code base
- Ionic emulates native app UI guidelines and uses native SDKs
Xamarin is the preferred mobile app development tool for native applications. It reuses business logic layers and data access across platforms. It is widely used to build apps for iOS, Windows, and Android app development.
- It is a mono framework which allows communication with the API of mobile devices
- Xamarin Component Store includes UI controls, cross-platform libraries, and third party libraries
- It tends to produce fewer bugs and thus provides faster time to market
- It allows application Indexing and Deep Linking
- Platform-specifics allow to consuming functionality that's only available on certain platforms
Mobile Angular UI
Mobile Angular UI is a mobile app development framework. It relies on rich libraries like overthrow.js and fastclick.js to provide the better mobile experience.
- With Mobile Angular UI it is possible to design a responsive, mobile user-interface. It also allows converting desktop web applications to mobile apps
- Allows to create awesome Mobile Components
- Bootstrap tailored according to development needs
- Stretch and squeeze your browser window to see both mobile and desktop versions
- Allows to test responsiveness and speed
Firebase is another mobile application development platform. It supports the web, iOS, OS X, and Android clients. It can significantly cut down development time and avoids messing with servers and data storage.
- It provides cloud service, so there isn't any setup required
- Data is stored as native JSON, so users can see what they stored
- Data is safe because Firebase requires 2048-bit SSL encryption for all data transfers.
- File storage backed by Google Cloud Storage
- Treat data as streams to build highly scalable applications
- Data is reflected and backed up to multiple secure locations, so hardly any chances of data loss
- It integrates nicely with frameworks like Angular JS. So it allows creating an app in a very short time